Monday, May 21, 2012

Strawberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream

Wow! It's been weeks since my last post. Where has the time gone? Oh yeah ... I remember ... baseball games, track meets, prom, graduation, teaching, my internship ...

Even though I haven't posted in a while, I have still been baking. I just looked at my pictures and asked my husband which project I should blog about. There were the cupcakes I made for my son's birthday, the cupcakes I made for my other son to take to jazz band, the cupcakes I made for the teachers at school, the cupcakes I made for prom, and the cakes I made for a graduation party. So much to choose from ... which means several more posts to come.

So Craig told me that I should write about these little beauties ...
Strawberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
I had been asked to make four dozen cupcakes for the teachers with which I work. We used to have a principal that would bring in several cakes every Spring when we finished our state testing. He retired six years ago, but several of us old timers still remember the celebration cakes. In honor of him, I was asked to do the baking. I was flattered, so I made a dozen of four different kinds of cupcakes. 

Now, I really enjoy a rich, ooey, gooey chocolate cupcake, but these little babies were so refreshing that I kept choosing to eat one of these over the many chocolate ones I made. They were sooooo yummy.

Here's how I made them...

For the Vanilla Cupcake I modified Kakeladi's White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe:

Ingredients
1 box of vanilla cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions
Mix everything together. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350 for 19 minutes. Makes about 36 cupcakes.

I got the Strawberry Filling recipe from Baked Perfection

Ingredients
1 32-oz container of frozen strawberries packed in syrup, thawed
Juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt

Directions
Drain strawberries, reserving the liquid. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 cup (I had enough syrup after thawing and didn't need to add water). In a large saucepan, combine the strawberry liquid, lemon juice, corstarch, and salt. Heat and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Cool completely. Stir strawberries into the cooled mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.

I also got the Strawberry Buttercream recipe from Baked Perfection.

Ingredients
2 sticks butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup strawberry filling (strawberry jam or preserves can be substituted)
pinch of salt
6 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp milk

Directions
Beat butter and vanilla until creamy. Mix in strawberry filling and salt. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until combined. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.


Now comes the fun part ... assembling the cupcakes.

I started by cutting cone shaped cores out of the center and placed them next to each cupcake.

Next, I filled each cupcake with a spoonful of the filling. I then cut the top off each cone and placed it back on top like a lid over the filling.

After filling all of the cupcakes, I used a 1M tip to make a pretty rose swirl on top of each cupcake. The tip occasionally got clogged up by the bits of strawberry filling in the buttercream, but I was able to clear it out with a toothpick.

Did I mention how refreshing this cupcakes is? It almost tastes like strawberry shortcake. Yum!


I took the cupcakes to the teachers' lounge during lunch. I had several people tell me that this was their new favorite cupcake. The filling is good on its own as well. My son wandered into the kitchen while I was cleaning up and ate the rest of the filling right out of the bowl. I wonder how it would taste on ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment