Sunday, June 3, 2012

Graduation Cakes

It's graduation season. Since I'm a high school teacher, and since I tend to feed high school kids cupcakes on occasion, I get asked about doing graduation cakes. Not a lot of cakes ... thank goodness. And they all seem to want 1/2 sheet cakes. I've broken my share of these cakes ... but then fixed them with frosting. I always seem to fight with them too. But I always seem to win. :)

This year I got to do a fun cake for graduation. Four boys, whose mothers I'm friends with, had their party together. The moms wanted cake for 150 people. After much e-mailing, they finally settled on 2 half-sheets, and this little beauty.
The bottom is a 12" square chocolate cake and the top is an 8" square white almond cake. I personalized it on the corners for each boy. Jeff got music notes, Dominick got a stethoscope, ...
... Matt got a computer mouse, and Aaron got a film reel. Everything was edible except for the cap and diploma on top.

As mentioned before, they also and 2 half-sheets. One was red velvet and the other was vanilla.


It was a lot of cake, but when I asked later, I was told that most of it got eaten at the party. Ben, Matt's younger brother, finished off the red velvet himself, and the rest was divided up and taken home (where I'm told it didn't last long).

Another one of my students, who just happens to be my neighbor, and I work with his dad, had 3 wishes for his graduation party: kegged root beer, a chocolate fountain, and a cake made by me. So of course I obliged. After talking with Reid in class, he said he wanted chocolate and peanut butter. So I made a half-sheet of chocolate cake and filled it with peanut butter butter cream. This was another party where the moms combined forces. Since Reid is off the the University of Illinois, and Jordan and Charlie are off to Western Illinois University, they wanted those schools included on the cake. Here's what I came up with ...

I am really tired of sheet cakes...and orange and black frosting. I'm so glad graduation season is over.

But before I go ... let's take a look at some graduation cakes I made last year for friends and former students.
Red Velvet cake for a young man heading off to Stanford
Chocolate and Vanilla cake for a Sox fan
Red Velvet and Vanilla cake

No comments:

Post a Comment