Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Santa Hat Cupcakes

My cupcakes are all dressed up and ready for Christmas.

My friend Angie likes to send me pictures of cool cupcakes. A couple of weeks ago she sent me a picture of a cupcake that looked like it was wearing a Santa hat. I LOVED it. So I set to work trying to figure out how to copy it.

This past weekend I had some extra purple frosting, so I tried to make the Santa hat. I texted the picture to my sister-in-law with the message,"If this was red would it look like a Santa hat?" Her response was, "Sure. Or a boob." Not the answer I was looking for.

I decided to move ahead with the project anyway. I do think it looks much better in red. I decorated 21 cupcakes with the red Santa hat for my boys to give to their teachers. I even bought individual boxes for them. My 7th grade son loved the idea and happily deliver each box to each of his teachers before school. One of his teachers was absent, which was a good thing because the hat slid right off the cupcake. Jared ate that one himself. He told me that it was a delicious cake wreck. My 9th grade son, however, hurt my feelings by not wanting to take part in the fun after I'd gone to so much work. I ended up delivering them to each of his teachers myself ... which is really easy to do since I work with all of them.

My older son's history teacher e-mailed me later on to tell me how mad she was. While she was in the hall between classes, somebody took her cupcake. Can you believe it?!?!? I felt really bad about it, so I came home, baked 2 dozen more cupcakes, and decorated about 12 more with Santa hats. Tomorrow I'm going to tell the history teacher to take better care of her gifts.

I will definitely make these cupcakes again.

1 comment: