Friday, February 3, 2012

Sunflower!

I had some extra yellow cupcakes, and I'd seen these sunflower cupcakes in several places, so I decided to give them a try.

They are SUPER EASY to make. This actually works with any cupcake. I found that the flat top cupcakes worked the best.

Here's what I did ...

I took some frosting and spread it on top of the cupcake with an off-set spatula. Then I placed an Oreo cookie on top, pressing it down a bit to make sure it was secure.

To make the petals, a leaf tip would have been nice. I sent my sweet husband to the store to buy me one ... but ... they were doing inventory and had all the decorating tips covered with a big plastic bag and refused to sell him anything. I was really questioning why the store was open. So I went to YouTube and found this video on how to use a Ziploc bag to make a modified leaf tip. Basically it involves securing a corner of the bag with scotch tape and then cutting a small triangle out of the corner. After a few practice petals, I finally got the hang of it. I just started at the base of the cookie and worked my way around until I was placing petals on top. I think I went around 3 times.

I've seen where others have added leaves and lady bugs to this style, but this was all I had the patience for.

This is definitely a kid-friendly cupcake. I've even been tossing around an idea in my head for a cupcake bouquet. This might have to be a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment