Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Cup of Coffee ... Cake

This morning I tried something new for the boys for breakfast ... coffee cake in a cup. I found the recipe on Pinterest, so I really need to thank Prudent Baby. According to her blog, this should only take 5 minutes. Maybe it was because I was taking pictures along the way, but it took me 20 minutes to prepare this little concoction. Maybe I'm not as organized as I think. Or maybe it's because I made 3 of them. Who really knows?

Anyway, here's how I made this ...

First, make the crumb topping. In a small bowl mix (with your clean fingers) 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1teaspoon of cinnamon.

Set the crumb topping aside and start in on the coffee cake.

Place a tablespoon of butter in a cup and soften it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.

Stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Now it's time for the egg. This can be made without the egg, but it will be more crumbly. You only want to use half an egg per cup. Just crack it in a separate cup, mix it up, and poor half in. If you're making 2 cups of coffee cake, this works out well. I ended up throwing away the other half egg.

Next stir in 2 tablespoons of sour cream and a few drops of vanilla.

Stir in 1/4 cup of flour, 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder, and about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Try not to stir too much. The cake can get stretchy and a little chewy if you stir the flour too much.

Add the crumb topping mixture to the cup.

Here comes the fun part. Place the cup in the microwave for 1 minute. You'll see the cake rise up to the top. After a minute, heat it again in 10 second intervals until the cake is how you want it. I ran mine for 1 minute and 20 seconds. It raised up nicely in the heat and crumb topping spilled over in my microwave because I used a small cup. After the heat was off, the cake sank back down into the cup.


I kind of wish I would have wiped the cup off before I took the picture. Oh well ... it tasted good anyway.

A quick way to have a little something sweet for breakfast ... or any time of the day. You can vary the recipe as well. Try a little cocoa powder instead of cinnamon. Try some canned pumpkin or cream cheese instead of sour cream. The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment